Thursday, August 02, 2007

Day 15 - Fitroy Island and our last full day in Australia

I felt like I was in a tropical paradise today - well, that's probably because I WAS in a tropical paradise...Fitzroy Island.This is the boat we went to the island on.Rainbow over Cairns...from the back of the boat.This boat to Fitzroy only took about 45 minutes-contrasting the ride to the reef yesterday that took twice that long.. The weather was a huge improvement. It would cloud up a little, and then be perfectly clear. Once we arrived on the island, we had a little time to explore before we took a hike up to the top - to the lighthouse. (and what did I forget??? my camera! HELP, CHAD!)
This is our "round two" picture. Chad traveled with my delegation last year on the "Heart of th Mediterranean" itinerary.

Once we returned, we divided into two groups - one to snorkel and one to kayak. The snorkeling was awesome. I kept having to look up to make sure I didn't stray too far out - I was so amazed by the coral and the fish...I hated to look up!

Fitzroy Island is changing - unfortunately, in my opinion. It still has an old world, rustic charm to it. However, someone has decided they can make some money...and condos are starting to be built. Tim told us the open air restaurant is also going to come down and something fancier will be rebuilt there.

Some pictures of this beautiful place:


Tonight was our 'formal dinner'...but we had to dress on the island. When I first heard this, I was disappointed for the group - knowing (I thought) that the girls would want their make up, their hair dryers and straighteners, etc. Well, talk about 'making lemonade when life gives you lemons' - our group - your darling children - made the ultimate most out of the situation. They brought all their make up and LOTS of MOUSSE...and they put make up on each other...and the girls set up shop and fixed the guys' hair. It was classic...it was wonderful!
Margot was NOT posing for the camera!Putting make up on Sara Fun - as she was called...because, well, she was a LOT of fun!
Alex...you're looking good!
I think Chad was captured...if I remember right, he wasn't too sure about having his hair done!

Peter got the treatment!Dustin was loving it!

Our ladies...
Our men...

So we left the island in style...and once we got to the mainland, we headed to Verdi's, an Italian restaurant. Between our meal and dessert, we surprised Tim with some cards and presents. I told the group how fortunate we had been to have had a delegation manager like Tim. He was remarkable...he loves Australia and is extremely knowledgeable about it. Plus, he loves to share his country. He had a great sense of humor...and had patience.















What an experience we all have had...visiting the "Land down under"... Here it was, the end of our 15th day in Australia. I know I plan on coming back.

No comments: